Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Calculated optical depth...

And so after solving a lot of problems in my program code, I was already happy because it is almost working properly. I just have found out that it was calculating, I think, correctly the source function of each point, it was just having a small output problem (a problem with the correct value not being saved in the output file). And then, I spotted it... An impossible value... Something that made me laugh, almost insanely, due to absurdity of what I was seeing on the screen... The calculated optical depth, something that should have the value of the order of a unit, was with values of an order of magnitude of 10^5 and reaching even 10^9. I don't think any photon could cross that region not even in a googol years... :P (I am just exagerating about the googol, of course. And for people who does not know what in the Nine Hells, also called Baator, is a googol, it is 10^100, or 1 followed by onde hundred zeros)

The only thing I can do for the time being is to laugh... Then I will try to find out where in the program lies this problem!

For people who does not know what does optical depth means, it is related to the escape probability of photon to leave some region of space. The higher the value, the smaller is the chance of it to escape before being scattered or absorved by the medium, meaning that more opaque is the medium. That is the kind of thing that an astrophysicist tries to calculate, and/or uses in their job. Total madness if you want to know my opinion about that, but it is also pure beauty! =D

Another problem, but the good thing is that I could saw it before going further. Now I have to spend some time on it, and I guess it will be quite an amount of some time... Bah! And I am still laughing... HAUhAUhUAHauhuHAuHAUhUAHuHAuhaa....

1 comment:

Marcelo Pará said...

profundidade optica de 10^9 e' basicamente querer que um foton atravesse uma parede de concreto, beemm espessa! Ta doido menino!!! hahahahahaha